It is our great pleasure to welcome you to the PGF 2016 in Hamburg! The Postgraduate Forum (PGF) of the German Association for American Studies (GAAS) is a loosely organized network of young scholars from different disciplines affiliated with the field of American Studies in Germany. Since its beginnings in 1989, the PGF has not only continuously grown in size; it has also evolved into a forum that enables young Americanists to share, discuss, and publish their own research and to participate in debates concerning the politics and practices of American Studies in general and within the GAAS in particular. The annual PGF conference gives young scholars an opportunity to network, to present their work in progress among peers, and to publish an article in the peer-reviewed online journal COPAS (Current Objectives of Postgraduate American Studies).
The PGF team 2016/2017 consists of six doctoral candidates of the University of Bremen and the University of Hamburg. We are honored to jointly co-organize all PGF events in the academic year 2016/2017 for you.
As many of you know, organizing a conference is a challenge. Therefore, we extend our warmest gratitude to the following individuals and institutions that made the PGF 2016 possible and have successfully guided us through the maze:
- the German Association for American Studies
- the Embassy of the United States of America and the U.S. Consulate General in Hamburg
- Prof. Dr. Susanne Rohr and Prof. Dr. Astrid Böger, Institute of English and American Studies, University of Hamburg
- Prof. Dr. Sabine Broeck, American Studies / Enslavism Studies, University of Bremen
- the Society for the Promotion of Academic Inter–Cultural Activities at the University of Hamburg
- the Hamburgische Wissenschaftliche Stiftung
- the Amerikazentrum Hamburg
- Peter Lang and Winter Verlag
- the professionals who will generously share their expertise with us at the PGF Café
- the staff at the University of Hamburg and Bremen who supported us in making this conference possible
- our student assistants Marleen Wrage and Tim Peetz
- and you, the speakers, chairs, and audience of the PGF
We wish you all an inspiring conference.
The PGF Team 2016
Marius Henderson, Jasmin Humburg, Julia Lange (Hamburg)
Paula von Gleich, Samira Spatzek (Bremen)
Mariya Nikolova (Bremen/Potsdam)